Marriage counselling and relationship counselling can be useful for couples at any stage of their relationship. It’s a great way to overcome conflicts great and small, and can be ideal for couples looking to tune up their relationship.
Being in a relationship can sometimes start to feel like a full-time job, especially for people who aren’t great at voicing opinions of resolving conflict in a healthy way. Human interactions are complicated and subjective, so it’s normal and even expected sometimes to hit rough patches in a long-term relationship.
Occasionally, the couple may experience an impasse or an event that seems impossible to move past. Couples counselling is a good way to discern whether you want the relationship to continue or not.
It can also help to determine what each individual needs from the relationship, and what they’re not getting. Some good questions to ask yourself during a rough patch include:
- Have you ever felt that your relationship is hard work?
- Are you feeling unhappy, troubled, distressed and/or unable to cope?
- Would better communication help? Do you think your current style of conflict resolution is working?
- Do you find yourself no longer listening to your partner? Are you finding their problems boring and repetitive?
If you find yourself answering yes, then it’s time to seek out couples counselling. At Midlands Mental Health Clinic, our counselors are professionally trained to give guidance on any number of relationship problems, from the mild to the life-altering.
If you’ve gone through any of the following issues, counselling could be the way forward:
- Loss of libido
- Differences in core values/beliefs
- Traumatic or life-altering events
- Jealousy, insecurity and distrust
- Issues with parenting children and/or stepchildren
- Lack of communication
- Perceived lack of support, interest or love by one partner for another
- Domestic abuse/manipulative behaviour
Midlands Mental Health Clinic customises each and every couples counselling plan to suit the couple in question. We are discreet and understanding, and are here to help you. We will work with you to unlearn negative patterns and respect one another again. If a relationship has run its course, then we will work to guide you both to an amicable parting of ways.
If you are experiencing relationship difficulties or behaviours which are having a negative impact on the quality of your life or that of your partner, family and friends, we can help. Fill out our contact form to make an appointment to discuss couples counselling today.